WP Meta SEO documentation
- I. WP META SEO INSTALL
- II. META INFORMATION EDITION
- III. IMAGE ALT, TITLE, NAME & SIZE
- 3.1 Image name, title and alt
- 3.2 Image dynamic resizing
- IV. 404 AND REDIRECT MANAGER
- V. XML AND HTML SITEMAPS
- VI. LINK TITLE EDITOR
- VII. GOOGLE ANALYTICS INTEGRATION
- VIII. SEO EMAIL REPORT
- IX. WP META SEO SETTINGS
WP Meta SEO give you the control over all the important SEO criteria for WordPress like your meta, images, links. In one view you will be able to add some meta, alt tag and resize photos. The plugon also got the most advanced 404 and redirect manager for WordPress.
- Bulk edit all website meta on a single view
- Edit meta in content with live SEO analysis
- Fix HTML image resizing
- Bulk edit image file name and meta
- Bulk edit SEO link title
- 404 errors redirect and internal broken link checker
- Facebook and Twitter social sharing custom elements per content
I. WP META SEO INSTALL
Install the free version
In order to install our plugin, you should use standard WordPress installer or unzip and put everything in the folder in /wp-content/plugin.
The free version is available on the plugin directory and can be installed through the WordPress admin.
Then click on activate plugin, to see WP Meta SEO menu appear on the WordPress left menu.
Install the PRO ADDON
The PRO ADDON needs to be purchased and downloaded on JoomUnited. To install, download the zip package from your account (My account menu) and install it using the zip uploader: Plugin > Add new > Upload plugin.
Then click on activate plugin, to get all additional features activated.
The dashboard, is something that resume all the SEO information of your WordPress website and how it's important to fix it. You can hover you mouse on each criteria to check the help tooltip. By now the SEO criteria checked are the following:
- Permalinks settings: URL configuration
- Meta titles: are meta titles all filled?
- Meta description: are all meta description filled?
- Duplicate meta titles
- Duplicate meta descriptions
- HTML resizing: check for image resized by CSS in you content
- Image title and alt information
- New or updated content from your website
- Link title filled
- 404 error and redirect URL
- Image compression activation
The dashboard, bottom part part is about Alexa ranking, reflecting the global traffic rank of your website (evaluation of traffic volume per country). More information about Alexa is available here: http://www.alexa.com
II. META INFORMATION EDITION
2.1 Edit meta information from content
The meta data are read by search engine only and allows you to define specific content attached to a page, a post or any other content. They can be displayed in search results, if the search engine find it accurate, especially for the meta description. If not, the search engine will generate it's own meta description. Some secondary search engines (not Google) still use those data to index your content.
Meta information are editable from your content, from a bulk view (next chapter) and also as a setting for the home page. So open a content (post/page/any custom post type) and check at the bottom of the page.
You'll get a snippet preview of the search engine result. Meta title and meta description should be filled up here, respecting the maximum number of characters.
2.2 Meta content from bulk editor
On the left menu, click on Content meta to access to the bulk meta edition.
You'll get access to the meta bulk edition table. All your WordPress content, post, pages, custom post type (WooCommerce products, events...).
Meta titles needs to be less than 70 characters, meta description less than 156 characters to be fully displayed in Google, Bing and Yahoo. All the descriptions you add will be saved in AJAX. On the top left part you'll find a filter to display/hide some of your content. You also have an option to bulk copy all the content titles as meta titles.
Finally, at the top right, you got a search engine to search faster for your content.
From the global settings of the plugin you can also enable an option to set your content to Follow / NoFollow and Index / NoIndex.
- Follow / Nofollow provides a way for webmasters to tell search engines: don't follow this link. So it may influence the link target’s ranking
- Index / NoIndex allows search engines robots to index this content, as default your content is indexed
Once the option is activated, you can use it from the page SEO edition and also from the bulk editor.
From the bulk editor and your dashboard, you can also check for duplicated meta titles and descriptions
2.3 Meta edition on custom post types
WP Meta SEO is custom post type compatible, means that you can edit all your third party meta content. A search filter is available on the top left part of your screen. For example here, if WooCommerce plugin is installed you can see products available in the list and edit meta from product page too.
2.4 Meta keyword in category
In order to use this feature, you need to activate Meta keywords option in Settings > Global tab
Then you can add meta keywords for categories and contents.
Or you will insert Meta Keywords in Content Meta
2.5 Google Search Console keywords suggestion
This feature helps you identify the keywords that matter most for your content, integrating with the Google Search Console. It automatically detects and suggests effective keywords that are related to the content you’re discussing.
For example if the expression "Google drive" is used in a post and you're also positioned on the expression "Google Drive Cloud" in the search console, the keyword will be highlighted.
2.6 Social sharing and SEO
Inside your content, in the SEO onpage block you got a tab named "Social for search engine"
From this tab, in each content, you can setup information that will be displayed when a user share your page on Facebook or Twitter. You can define title, description and image.
III. IMAGE ALT, TITLE, NAME & SIZE
3.1 Image name, title and alt
Image have also info to be edited for a better SEO. We recommend to use both alt text and image title. The main advantage is that it helps search engines discover your images and display them in image search results. Plus, these tags improve the accessibility of your site and give more information about your images.
Use our bulk image tool to quickly check and fix that, use the left menu Image meta to access to image edition.
From this interface you can bulk edit:
- Image name
- Image alt text
- Image title
- Image legend
- Image description
File name, is the physical name of your image on the server. Note that this edition won’t broke any image link, they are dynamically replaced in your content. The legend is the WordPress native legend feature included by default in WordPress. Note that the legend is displayed in your content for your visitor.
When title or alt text is reported as missing, you'll get a fix meta button that open a lightbox to fix that. You can make a quick copy of the image name or of the image alt text.
3.2 Image dynamic resizing
WP Meta SEO got a tool to fix images that have been resized with handles (prevent HTML resizing). This is something like search engine would consider as an error in your page because image will have a bad looking and also because it slow down the page display by loading a big image for a small size. Most of the time it comes from editors that use the handles to resize images directly in the content.
Our plugin is able to detect that and fix it right in your content by regenerating a new proper image size. Each time you can see the button "Resize image", you can resize the image.
You can see that in this case you’ll lose 30% of weight. A Replace all button is also available because the image can be available in a lot of posts, pages... so you can do a bulk replacement everywhere!
Finally, on the top left you got 2 buttons for bulk actions: copy image name as alt text & copy image name as image title. You can execute the bulk action on a selection of image or on the whole images.
To filter only the images that requires optimization, you can use the top left control to display only: Image with missing information or HTML resized images.
IV. 404 AND REDIRECT MANAGER
4.1 Index 404 error URLs
Access to the 404 manager from the left menu WP Meta SEO > 404 and redirects
WP Meta SEO will index all URL from your website:
- Internal 404 errors for example an error in an internal link
- internal 404 error in custom post type (WooCommerce, event manager...)
- External links that generate 404 errors
- 404 errors generated by media for example a missing image
- Valid links, also used to redirect a valid link
On the top part you got filters to display only valid URL, external link that generate 404 (404 automatically indexed) and internal broken links. The second filter is maybe the more used as it allows you to filter by redirected/not redirected URLs.
The Type filter allows you to filter 404 errors by media type: url due to an an image, an URL or any other file (zip, PDF...).
To index or re-index all the 404 errors from your content (page, post...) use the button "Index internal broken links". On the top of the button, on click, there's a progress bar that gives feedback on the process, if you have a large amount of data it may takes time but it won't stop.
4.2 Flush 404 URLs
On the right side of the URL filter you got a flush button. Why is that? your website content can change and you could have, for example, removed a lot of content or fixed a bunch of 404 errors in your content. The flush tool will remove all the 404 URLs indexed, internal and external, except the ones that you've already redirected of course.
You have option to flush:
- Only internal 404 errors
- Only external errors
- All URLs
4.3 Fix 404 errors and redirect URLs
When you hover a link from the 404 manager you got 3 options:
- Redirect: create a redirection of the URL
- Remove link: remove the link from the content
- Recheck: recheck if this link is still a 404
When you click on Redirect, you got an interface to add a redirect URL, just copy it and click "Update".
From the plugin settings you also have option to redirect all 404 errors to the home page. This is not a perfect solution for the user experience but it may help in case of emergency.
4.4 Custom redirect and redirect rules
The WP Meta SEO ADDON add several features to the redirect manager like:
- Add custom redirect (not onlt 404 error redirect)
- Add redirect rules
On the top left part of the interface you got 2 buttons, the first one is about creating custom redirection with as option 301, 302 or 307 redirect.
The redirect rules is about make a redirection of an URL set, for example redirect all the blog post identified by the URL /blog/* to a new URL.
4.5 Create a custom 404 page
From the settings you can also select a 404 page from:
- Your theme 404 page: the default one
- The WP Meta SEO 404 page: an HTML page available in your page listing
- A custom 404 page
4.6 Google Search Console 404 URLs
WP Meta SEO ADDON allows you to authenticate to the Google Search Console to get and redirect the 404 URLs indexed by Google.
Click on the left menu Search Console
Then you can use your own Google Developer App credentials or just get a token by hitting the Get Google Authorization Code button.
You're done! You can now import the Google Search URLs list.
For each URL you can add a redirect like any other URL. The Mark as fix option will mark the URL as fixed in the Google Search Console.
V. XML AND HTML SITEMAPS
5.1 XML sitemap generation
WP Meta SEO got a tool that generates xml sitemap and HTML sitemap. The main purpose of the xml sitemap is to be added in the Google Search Console in order to index faster and better the pages you want. Access the the sitemap tool using the "Sitemap" menu.
Then you will get the configuration screen and several tabs to select the content yo want to add in your sitemap.
By default, all your menus are selected as a sitemap source and you got button to load your XML and HTML sitemaps. As options you can:
- Add additional WordPress content to your sitemaps like WordPress category, tags or author posts
- For the HTML sitemap you can select the number of columns to display your content, from 1 to 3
- The page where you want to load your HTML sitemap content. By default a page is created but you can select a existing page
- Add a link to the sitemap in the robot.txt. It's helpful for search engines that don't have tool to access to your xml sitemap URL
- Add a copy of your sitemap at the root of your WordPress install. This is the location that is crawled by default by search engines and 3rd party SEO tools
To select a sitemap source, navigate through the tabs and check the menu, sub-menus, post or page you want.
5.2 HTML sitemap generation
For the HTML sitemap you also have an option to select the column you want to display your sitemap menus, posts or pages.
If you update any content, you need to hit the Save and regenerate button to update your sitemaps.
The plugin addon also comes with some additional themes: Accordion layout and tabbed layouts.
5.3 Send XML sitemap to Google Search Console
WP Meta SEO gives the possibility to automatically send your XML sitemap to the Google Search Console. Click on the link above the Save and regenerate sitemap or use the left menu Search Console
Then you can use your own Google Developer App credentials or just get a token by hitting the Get Google Authorization Code button.
You're done! Each time you'll click save button from the sitemap management interface, the sitemap will be re-submitted to Google Search Console.
5.4 Sitemap link check
If you've got a subscription for the WP Meta SEO addon you can also check your sitemap links with the sitemap checker tool.
Then the list of URLs will be displayed below.
The result is an AJAX-powered list of pages that are present in the sitemap with their status and other information. You can sort by different columns to focus on a specific group, and subsequently fix any problems.
VI. LINK TITLE EDITOR
The link title attribute does not have any SEO value for links. BUT links titles can influence click behavior for users, which may indirectly affect your SEO performance.
Link title can be added either from content or the bulk edition interface, menu "Link meta".
VII. GOOGLE ANALYTICS INTEGRATION
7.1 Activate analytics tracking
WP Meta SEO is fully integrated with Google Analytics, you can activate the tracking and display the Googla Ananlytics data from the WordPress admin.
First, you have to get an Access code to use Google Analytics Report.
Then do the following steps to get Access code.
A new tab will be opened, just paste the code to the WP Meta SEO textbox and click Allow then Save Access code button.
Finally you need to select the Google Analytics property corresponding to your domain.
OPTIONAL: If you want to use your own API, fill your Client ID, Client Secret and save changes.
WP Meta SEO offers some additional tracking settings:
- Tracking Settings
- Basic Tracking
- Events Tracking
- Exclude Tracking
The basic tracking options:
Tracking type: Classic Analytics and Universal Analytics
Anonymize IPs while tracking: enable you to comply with some privacy protection laws available in different countries.
Enable demographics and interests reports: display remarketing, demographics and interests reports with Google Analytics.
This feature will enable you to track downloads, mails, affiliates and outbound links. Depending on your needs, you can choose to include or exclude these actions in / from bounce-rate calculation.
This option is used to ignore traffic generated by certain logged in users.
7.2 Get Google Analytics data
Congratulation! Google Analytics is now connected and you can get data from it.
VIII. SEO EMAIL REPORT
WP Meta SEO ADDON got an Email report feature that allows you to send SEO Email report to you, your client, a marketing team or anyone. The reports includes: website SEO data, Google Analytics data, custom content.
To access to the Email report management use the left menu: WP Meta SEO > Email Report.
On the top part of the Email report management you've got the following options:
- Sender Email: Add the Email identified as sender
- Email subject: Add subject to your report Email (default is “WP Meta SEO report”)
- Email frequency: Change the frequency of the Email report, or use the Single Email Report to send only manual reports
- Send report to: The email of the recipient. Can be several Emails separated by comma
- Before text message: Before the Google Analytics data you can add a custom content to your Email
The next settings are about the content you want to add in your report, mainly it's Google Analytics views or WP Meta SEO data.
You can add Google analytic data by Page views, Traffic, Users... in 7 days, 30 days, One year…
And Meta SEO data include in report:
- New content or updated content in %
- Meta title % filled
- Meta description % filled
- Images not optimized (HTML resized)
- Images titles and description % filled
- Permalink settings
- Links titles in %
- 404 indexed errors (from the setting you can run an automatic error crawl)
You can add/remove several Google analytics views from your report. Once you hit Save Report, your configuration will be saved and you can then send a single or automatic scheduled reports.
You also have the possibility to attach to Email report a PDF version.
IX. WP META SEO SETTINGS
9.1 WP Meta SEO General Settings
From the settings, you get additional SEO parameters:
- Home page meta information: useful if you have a home page setup as a blog, you can't define the meta in your page
- Social information for Facebook and twitter sharing
- Meta keyword: activate a meta keyword definition from the bulk view, can be helpful for multilingual websites
- Meta block edition: enable the meta edition bloc above your content (post, page...)
- Social networks meta: activate the social tab above your content (post, page...)
- Force SEO validation: allows user to force a validation of the criteria, sometimes the criteria does not fit the content
- Link text field: activate the 'title' field in the Insert/Edit URL box from your text editor
On the second tab you got Redirect related settings
- Redirect all 404 to the home page
- Select the 404 layout page: theme page, WP Meta SEO page or a page from yours
- Run automatic indexation: will launch at a regular interval the internal broken link checker tool
Finally, the Breadcrumb is helpful for user navigation and also really appreciated by search engine when it’s well implemented. WP Meta SEO got includes a breadcrumb generator with: Rich snippet compatibility, Separator and text customization, Link activation, Shortcode and PHP code generation.
- Breadcrumb separator: The separator that materialize the breadcrumb levels
- Include Home: Include the Home element in the breadcrumb
- Home text: If home is included, you may want to force a text. By default it's the content title.
- Clickable breadcrumb: The breadcrumb element can be clickable or not.
- PHP Shortcode: Generate a breadcrumb navigation based on your categories or page levels. The shortcode can be included in theme layouts.
- WordPress Shortcode: Generate a breadcrumb navigation based on your categories or page levels. The WordPress shortcode can be called anywhere in your content.
9.2 Send Email
This feature is available in Addon, it is an optional configuration to send Email report with another configuration from the WordPress default send mail.
9.3 Google Local Business Information
In Wp Meta SEO addon, you've got additional settings to put your business’ appearance in Google’s search results using the search engine’s Local Business structured data. To update your information, just navigate to the local business tab then insert the relevant data and save your changes.
The update will be effective in few days (it takes around 2 days). Your business information will be displayed in search results. If some information are not relevant like the price range for example, just don't fill that information, it'll still work.