Linky Map documentation
- I. LINKY MAP INSTALL
- II. LINKY MAP REGION AND MARKER MAPS
- III. DISPLAY VECTOR MAP ON FRONTEND
Linky Map is a Joomla extension that manage vector maps based on Google geochart. Create your custom vector map, all the world, countries, regions included.
I. LINKY MAP INSTALL
Our component is Joomla 3.x compatible. All the features and 3rd party integrations are included in all memberships.
In order to install our component you have to download the extension .zip file and use standard Joomla installer.
1.2 Update & automatic updater
In order to update the extension you can install a new version over the old one by downloading the ZIP file from JoomUnited or use the automatic updater (recommended).
The automatic updater, which push the update notification, is embedded in the Joomla extension you've installed. So you'll get notified like any other extension in the dashboard or using the menu: Extension > Manage > Update menu.
Login to your account to update
You need to login to your JoomUnited account to update all your JoomUnited Joomla extensions. In order to login access the main configuration of the component then click on the Live update tab. At the bottom, you'll find a login button.
Enter your JoomUnited credentials, the same you use to login here @ www.joomunited.com
The button will turn orange, congrats! you can now update all the JoomUnited extensions on this website! If your membership is expired you'll get a renew link and a text that explain that.
II. LINKY MAP REGION AND MARKER MAPS
2.1 Create a region map
A region map fills entire regions (typically countries or country region) with colors corresponding to the values that you’ve chosen. In order to create a region map, from the menu Components > Linky Map > Google vector maps > Click on the appropriate button named Add New Region
To start editing a region map, first define a title for your map and a region to display. When a region is selected, you’ll have a preview above the form with the colored regions.
Map preview for the Europe selection:
In order to add a region you have 2 solutions, using ISO code from Wikipedia (link generated in the component) or using predictive search.
For Wikipedia ISO code, just click on the link and take a reference from the region table.
Ex. FR for France. If you want to use our predictive search, just type the region name in the region field. You selection will be automatically transformed in ISO code.
The title and description added to your region will be displayed in a tooltip by default. You can also choose to display the information as an HTML sidebar.
Here's the example of the UK Scotland region:
You can also add a link for the region and a color.
Finally your fist region is added to the region map, you can edit all information or delete it if needed.
2.2 Create a marker map
A marker map display specific location, it can be any address, with custom color. In order to create a marker map click on the appropriate button Add New Marker.
To start editing a marker map, add a title then use the field Marker to start enter your location. Based on Google when you'll type your address you'll get some suggestions.
Then hit save and your location will be added to a table like for the region map.
You can also add a custom link for the location that will be followed on click.
2.3 Create a custom map
In order to create a custom map, you can go to Components > Linkymap > Custom Vector Maps, then click on Add New Map button.
Then you can create a combine map with markers and regions.
After that, you should scroll down to preview the custom map.
2.4 Configuration of the vector maps
Each vector map have its own configuration and can configured in its own way.
- Action: Open location custom links in the same/new window/HTML side bar/Modal box
- Background: Add a custom image background to the map
- Background Color: the color of background
- Border color: the border color that separate countries, regions... on the map
- Border width: the border color that separate countries, regions... width
- Map border color: the border color of the map
- Inactive region color: the color of the map regions not configured (no color assigned)
- Region Hover color: The color of the regions on mouse hover
- Marker size: The marker point size in pixels
- Enable tooltip: Display/Hide tooltips descriptions
- Max Width/Height: The map size defined bellow apples or not. Width and height can also be fixed even if the map is responsive by default
- Domain Specific Country Code: Domain setting allow serve default country for example setting domain to IN will display Kashmir as belonging to India rather than as a disputed territory
- Status: Publication status
- Language: The map language
III. DISPLAY VECTOR MAP ON FRONTEND
In order to display your location on frontend you can use:
- A menu to display locations search or single location
- A module to display a search field
- A content plugin to display single location
3.1 Display a map using a menu
Please go in the Joomla menu manager and add a “linky map” element.
Select a map you’ve created to display the map from the menu.
3.2 Using the module
A Linky map module is installed with the component but not activated by default, go on the module manager and open the module with type:
From the module settings you can setup the map to load and force a map size (by default it'll take 100% width).
Display module on frontend:
3.3 Using the content plugin
You can add a map in any text editor using the editor button. The content plugin allows you to call a map in an article with a visual lightbox.
On button click, lightbox will be displayed then click on the title to insert the map in your text editor.