WP File Download: Configuration
To access to WP File Download parameters, go in WP File Download > Configuration > Main Setting.
There are 3 tabs inside the Main Setting: Admin, Frontend and Statistics.
- Allowed extensions: The file format you want to authorize on your website to be uploaded
- File history count (0 to 100): WP File Download stores history of files when you update them in order to restore them later. Setup the number of versions to store per file
- Max upload file size: The max file size for upload
- New file category position: When creating a new file category, it can be added on top or the end of the list
- Category owner is adding a user as Category owner
- File count is the number of files beside each file category name
- Single user restriction gives access to a file/a category for a single user (to pick up from Wordpress users)
- Close categories: If you want to open WP File Download with the categories tree closed or opened by default
- Display shortcode in category: to load a category of files in editor
- Show files import: Display a file importer that browse your server to import files in WP File Download categories
- Use WYSIWYG editor in the file description
- Add remote file: Remote file is the possibility to add a downloadable remotely hosted file
- Admin file list theme: select theme for backend
- Delete all files on uninstall: The data delete action on uninstall (see 1st chapter)
- Extensions to open with viewer: Use the file preview and on which file type
- Open PDF in a new browser tab instead of the Google drive viewer
- Use viewer: possibility to preview the files. Use the Google viewer, not all format can be previewed
- SEO URL: The root URL suffix for all the downloadable files
- Date format: Date format for upload & update file dates
- Theme per categories: Activate or not the possibility to define a theme per file category otherwise, the component will use the theme from the option below
- Default theme per category: If theme per category is set to No above, select a theme to apply to all your categories by default
- Download category allows users to download all the files from a category as a global .zip file using a button. Not applicable to cloud file categories
- Download file selection: Users can make a file selection using checkboxes them download them as .zip file. Not applicable to cloud file categories
- Custom icon is uploading a custom image or icon for single files
- Pagination number is the number of files per page
- Load the plugin on the frontend in page builder
- Display empty folders: Display empty folders on frontend
- GA download tracking is the activation of Google analytics download tracking
- Track user download (what file is downloaded per user account). If you're making available your file in EU region, you may add some notice related to the GDPR for your customers.
- Statistics storage: Define the duration of the download statistics storage. Note that Forever option may generate huge database tables.
Right side option setup defines the theme design setup. Note that those theme parameters will be loaded automatically if you choose not to activate theme per category.
2. Search engine
In order to take a short code for Search function, you should go to WP File Download Configuration > Search & Upload. A dedicated search engine is available from the parameters. You can generate a shortcode from the parameters and insert one or several search engines where you want. When you select a category for "Search in this category" parameter, the search function will only search files inside this category and its subcategories.
E.g: [wpfd_search catid="10" cat_filter="1" tag_filter="1" display_tag="searchbox" create_filter="1" update_filter="1" file_per_page="5"]
Parameters of the search engine:
- Search page: the default page loaded when a search query is launched
- Plain text search: allows you to search inside the content of the documents like PDF, Word files
(You should click on Build Search Index button when using 1st time or rebuild whenever you want)
- Filter by category: load the category tree as a filter
- Search in this category: select the category to search on frontend
- Exclude categories from search: Exclude a selection of files categories from search queries
- Filter by tag: you can add tags to your files (and manage tags from the WPFD tag menu)
- Display tag as a checkbox (for few tags) or as Search box with predictive typing (for a massive amount of tags)
- Filter by creation date: add a date range selector as a filter
- Filter by update date: add a date range selector as a filter
- File per page: number of files per page in the search results
Here is the preview of the search engine with all parameters activated:
3. File Importer
WP File download has a unique file importer available for WP. To enable it you should go to WP File download > Configuration > Main Setting > Admin tab. Then set “Show files import” to Yes.
Then on the right part of your screen, you’ll see the listing of your server files with 3 tools that allow you to Select, Unselect and Import files.
To import files, choose the category on the left part then select the desired files and click on the Import button.